Grants and Awards
Current Funded Projects
AHRC Project- £98,000 February 2014 – January 2015 (AH/L504014/1)
Brighton Fuse ‘Fusebox’ Knowledge Exchange Project. Principal investigator.
British Academy Small Grant - £7,500 June 2011-March 2014 (SG102167)
• ‘Discovering Digital Me: Forging Links in Digital Identity, Digital Literacy and Digital Economy’. Principal investigator with co-investigator Panayiota Tatsou, Swansea University.
ESRC Research Seminar Series - £18,000 2011-2014 (ES/I001816/2)
• ‘Digital Policy: Connectivity, Creativity and Rights’. Principal investigator with co-investigators Dr Tracy Simmons, University of Leicester, Prof. William Dutton, Oxford Internet Institute, and Prof. Katharine Sarikakis, University of Vienna.
Policy-related Roles, Consultancy and Knowledge Exchange
• Co-Chair (with Lord Richard Inglewood) of AHRC-funded Design Commission Digital Revolution Inquiry (2013-2014)
• Chair Digital Housing 2013: Building Digital Capabilities to Improve Housing Services, Inside Government seminar, London, January 30 2013.
• Invited Participant, European Science Foundation, Forward Look Final Conference, Media Studies – New Media and New Literacies, January 24-5 2013, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
• Member of Welsh Government Digital Economy Research Hub 2011-2012
• Strategic Insight Programme (www.siprogramme.org.uk) part-time consultancy (£2,250) on digital economy, tourism and heritage, with CMC2 (www.cmc2.org.uk), Monmouthsire. June/July 2012.
• Response to RCUK ‘Digital Economy’ Programme Review. Spring 2012.
• Submission to Ofcom ‘Local TV’ process. February 2012.
• Lead link for Technology Strategy Board’s (www.innovateuk.org) sponsorship of launch of 3vtv.co.uk at The Works, Ebbw Vale, January 2012.
Guest and keynote presentations and workshop leadership
• Chair, Industry Panel, Cine Excess International Film Conference and Festival, Birmingham, November 15-17 2013.
• Guest Speaker ‘Digital Economy’ School of Oriental and African Studies University of London, October 30 2013.
• Guest Speaker and Participant, Hack the Hackathon, London, July 5-7 2013. http://www.hackthehackathon.com/
• Plenary speaker, showcase event, AHRC Creative Exchange Network Wales, Millennium Centre, Cardiff, Wales, June 25 2013.
• Invited Speaker, Intersectional Conflict and Dialogue in Transnational Migrant and Digital Diaspora Networks Conference, University of Hull, April 11-12 2013.
• Invited Speaker, ‘Virtual Globalization: Directions in Digital Thinking’, Launch of Centre for Global Politics, Economy and Society Launch, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, January 16-17 2013.
• Guest panel chair and discussant at ‘Rethinking Small Media’ conference, School of Oriental and African Studies University of London October 6-7 2012.
Other professional roles
• Member of the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 Sub-panel 36: Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management.
• Member of ESRC Peer Review College 2012-
• Member of China Advisory Group of the UK Higher Education International Unit (IU) from 2011.
• Member of steering group of AHRC funded Creative Exchange Wales Network 2012-14. http://cewn.weebly.com/
• External on in appointments and promotions panels City University, Dublin, Ireland, 2011 and 2012.
• Elected as vice-president International Studies Association (ISA) 2008-9.
• Elected as Non-North American representative to Governing Council of ISA 2006-7.
• Member of the Feminist and Women’s Studies Association (UK and Ireland) executive committee from 2001 to 2004.
• Vice President. Global Studies Association, 2002-4.
• Referee for grant applications: ESRC, British Academy, Leverhulme, Canadian social sciences research council, Irish humanities research council, Guggenheim foundation, Nuffield foundation; Belgian Science Policy Office.