The University is currently inviting applications for AHRC-funded Design Star Studentships for October 2018 entry. We are looking for individuals with outstanding academic or professional backgrounds and research potential to commence a programme of postgraduate study in design. Applicants will be educated to Masters level, or equivalent, and meet AHRC eligibility criteria for funding.
The internal deadline for our 2018 Design Star awards is 16 May 2018, 12pm. You will have an opportunity to make final revisions to your Design Star application form by the final Design Star deadline of 30 May 2018.
AHRC-funded Design Star Studentships
The Design Star Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) brings together leading design departments at the University of Brighton; Goldsmiths, University of London; Loughborough University; The Open University; and the University of Reading. It aims to develop future intellectual leadership in design: research leaders of the future who are equipped to make a difference to contemporary social concerns, knowledge production and creative practices. This requires an approach to research training that places diversity and interdisciplinarity at its core.
Awards (stipend and fee waiver) are available for full-time and part-time study.
Please visit http://www.designstar.org.uk to find out more about Design Star.
For information on University of Brighton research in Design, Design History, and Architecture please see our Postgraduate Research pages.
Your application will go through a two-stage process, being considered first by the University of Brighton's Doctoral College. If successful at interview stage your application will be submitted to Design Star to be considered by a panel drawn from Design Star members.
Please note: existing students who have already commenced doctoral study at Brighton ARE eligible to apply for AHRC awards through Design Star.
International applicants are not eligible for a Design Star award. EU applicants are only eligible for a fees-only award, unless they satisfy Research Council residency criteria. Please see the Design Star website for details.
Applicants are advised to read the following details carefully before applying.
Applications for Design Star studentships at the University of Brighton must be made via the University of Brighton Doctoral College. Prospective doctoral students who are interested in applying for a studentship should proceed as follows:
1. If you have already identified a potential supervisor you should contact them to talk informally about your research proposal before submitting an application. Further information on specialist supervisory strengths are available on our Postgraduate Research pages. Alternatively the Doctoral College can advise on the suitability of your proposed project and what supervision might be available: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Please complete your online University of Brighton application (see below) and also send your Design Star application form to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 May (12pm).
4. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview. Interviews for Design Star studentships will take place the w/c 23 May 2018. Applicants are advised to be available should they be called for interview.
University of Brighton online application:
1. Log in or register as a new user to complete an online application
2. Please select the following options from the drop down menus:
Type of course: research degree
Schools of study: Architecture & Design, Humanities, Art, Media
Then select Design Star studentship (FT or PT) from the list of courses
Please attach a copy of your passport to your application at any upload point
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure referees submit references.
Please direct any further enquiries about Postgraduate Research to: email@example.com.