Photography students at BA and MA levels have received recent awards.
University of Brighton photography students continue to excel in major competitions, with success coming recently for our BA and MA photographers.
Alison Stolwood, current MA Photography student, has been selected for the 2011 Bloomberg New Contemporaries, a competition for artists across a wide range of media. Her work will be exhibited at the ICA in November.
From over a thousand entries, judges chose less than fifty contemporary young artists for the exhibition list. The New Contemporaries competition gives people still at, or just after, art school the opportunity to show their work in the context of a professional art gallery, offering a chance for students to take the work out of the educational context and into the real.
In the Toulouse Student Photo Contest, 2011, part of MAP11 Toulouse Photo Festival, three current photography students from Brighton were among the selection of twenty laureates: Paul Butkus, Will Richards and Anna Novikova.
The contest concentrated on portrait photography and was judged by a panel from the photographers collective Tendance Floue (http://www.tendancefloue.net/). The winner(s) will be part of the final festival exhibition in May 2011. The organisers note that seven European countries, 19 cities, 30 of the best European photography schools have been involved. Their aim was to establish this photo contest and festival as a talent scout for the bright young things of European photography. The selected photographs will be displayed in large format on canvas, in the heart of the Festival on the banks of the Garonne, a perfect place in the “pink city”.
The list of the 20 laureates :
1 Laure Ledoux , ENSP Arles , France
2 Eli Dijkers , Fotoacademie Rotterdam , Netherlands
3 Maria Zarazua , EFTI , Spain
- Marian Haringsma , Fotoacademie Amsterdam , Netherlands
- Paulius Buktus , University of Brighton , United Kingdom
- Juan Cobo Escorial , EFTI , Spain
- Flora Mészaros , EFTI , Spain
- Hélène Petite , Académie des Beaux Arts , Belgium
- Carla Plukkel , Fotoacademie Amsterdam , Netherlands
- Anne Brunet , Académie des Beaux Arts , Belgium
- William Richards , University of Brighton , United Kingdom
- Antonia Moreno Moreno , EFTI , Spain
- Maïté Renson , Ecole Supérieure Des Arts Saint-Luc , Belgium
- Eleazar Ortuno Fernandez , EFTI , Spain
- Lorraine Bonduelle , ESNP Arles , France
- Cristina Jorge Camacho , EFTI , Spain
- Audrey Lenchantin , La Cambre , Belgium
- Anna Novikova , University of Brighton , United Kingdom
- Emilio Permjean Munoz , EFTI , Spain
- Catherine Armand , EFTI , Spain
Images are from photographers' websites and are not necessarily representative of the work submitted for the competition.
The MAP11 Toulouse facebook group website will carry the images of the competition in due course: http://on.fb.me/gdzLCi