5 High Street
Harrow on the Hill
Tel: 020 8872 8000
Contact: Julia Walton
The Old Speech Room was built in 1819-21 as a chamber in which to encourage public speaking. It was converted into a gallery by Alan Irvine in 1976 as a repository for the School's varied and distinguished collection of antiquities and fine art. The collections comprise Egyptian and Greek antiquities, English watercolours, Modern British paintings, some sculpture, printed books and natural history. There is also a set of Stuart Devlin's parcel gilt Easter eggs, designed in the tradition of Fabergé. The following items are usually on show: antiquities, paintings by Romney, Sir Winston Churchill, David Jones, Victor Pasmore and Richard Shirley Smith, portrait busts of Old Harrovians such as Sheridan and Byron, and natural history. In addition, the School has a policy of showing its treasures in a series of themed exhibitions. One notable costume in the store is an 18th-century Harrovian costume as worn by boys entering the Silver Arrow competition for archery, with a painting in the gallery showing John Lord Mount Stuart in 1758/9 wearing one. A collection of related bows and arrows also survives.
Harrow School collection is open, with free entrance to the public, on term time afternoons - except Wednesdays.