Citations and reviews
- Automaton, as part of exhibition 'Single-shot' reviewed in Modern Painters, March 2007. In his review Jonathan Romney wrote: "Equally commanding is Sean Dower’s 'Automaton,' a liesurely but rigorously calibrated cruise around a drum kit, every chromed curve of it contemplated in fetishistic detail while drummer Steve Noble plays a taut, pensive solo"
- Break it down in collaboration with the artist Richard Wilson, at The Timothy Taylor Gallery, London. In The Wire magazine (issue 267, May 2006) Brian Dillon wrote a very positive illustrated review, where he likened the performance to a "blizzard of light and noise and observed that some of the visuals recalled the photographic experiments of Etienne-Jules Marey in the 1870s".
- The film The Story of Dick Donkeys’ Dawn was shortlisted for the Ken Russell Short Film Award at the Clerkenwell film and video festival.
"Dick Donkeys Dawn, a whirling dervish of a documentary, cut fast and full of strange, demented, decadent people. It was hilariously entertaining." (Ken Russell)
Grants and awards
Selected awards (not including grants awarded by Academic Institutions or budgets for exhibitions)
- Film Commission Automaton as part of single-shot project organised by Film and Video Umbrella. £13,000. (Awarded through the Arts Council of Great Britain and the Film Council of Great Britain).
- Arts For Everyone (through the National Lottery) – Film award to Alpha Rational and Dick Donkeys Dawn. Amount £4000. 3D Film produced
Juries, committees and editorial board
- On selection panel for ‘Sounding Out’ – A sound festival at University of East London