Display Energy Certificates


Do you need to display a DEC?

If you are a public authority or an institution that occupies or part occupies a building and you provide a public service to a large number of people who also visit the building then you are required by law to display a DEC. Currently, this applies to buildings with a gross internal floor area equal to or greater than 1000 m2 however buildings with a floor area of 500 m2 may also soon require them.

What will the DEC tell you?

The DEC will be accompanied by an Advisory Report. The DEC will provide you with an energy rating for your building from A to G, where A is very efficient and G is the least efficient. The DEC has to be renewed annually. The Advisory Report (AR) will provide you with set of recommendations that will help you improve the energy performance of your building. The AR is valid for 7 years.

WERG has produced DECs since the inception of this legislation and has accredited energy assessors who are also CIBSE registered Low Carbon Consultants who can issue you with a DEC and Advisory Report.